- 6 cups peeled, cored, and sliced pears
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (2 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
- 8 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Let simmer while making jam.
- In a large saucepan, combine pears, water, and lemon juice. Cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pectin, and bring to a full boil. Stir in the white sugar, and continue boiling and stirring uncovered for 1 minute, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and stir in brown sugar.
- Quickly fill jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Wipe rims clean, and top with lids. Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes to seal.